6 Signs of Alcohol Poisoning

You might have heard of alcohol poisoning, but never seen it up close or learned what to do if it happens. Let’s break it down for ya.

A night of binge or excessive drinking can lead to alcohol poisoning, which can cause permanent brain damage or even death.

Alcohol poisoning is one of the most dangerous short-term consequences of drinking too much. If you drink or spend time with buddies who drink, knowing the signs of alcohol poisoning can help you save a life.

Life-threatening Signs of Alcohol Poisoning
  1. Shows mental confusion, stupor or coma (for example, they don’t respond in full sentences that make sense)
  2. Can’t wake up or has passed out and is difficult to wake up
  3. Is vomiting
  4. Has irregular breathing (10 seconds or more between breaths)
  5. Has a seizure (sudden and uncontrolled body movements and changes in behavior)
  6. Shows early signs of hypothermia (or low body temperature), which includes cold, clammy, pale or bluish-colored skin

Take action: If one of your friends shows any of these signs after drinking, get help right away—follow your local emergency reporting procedures or call 9-1-1. Do not let your friend “sleep it off.” Their BAC (blood alcohol concentration) will continue to rise even after they have stopped drinking. Left alone, they could stop breathing, develop hypothermia, choke on their vomit while passed out or die.

Your buddy’s life is important – do what you can to support the people you know.